Chromebooks in Our Schools — One Year Later — The Coda
Mr. Cochran, Mr. Fleming, Mr. Felton, and Mr. Hisaw
This is the final part of a series. Part one is here. Part two is there. Part three is here.
1) I’ve been taking a lot of photos and talking to a lot of our students, teachers, and interested parties this year. I want to make sure it’s on the record that I get no benefit from Google or any other company for doing this. I love my job. I love the schools and people where I live. I’m excited about the technology we bring into our classrooms in the right ways and get frustrated when we do it wrong, usually because of short staff, short money, or short time. I prefer to learn from the wrong and highlight the right. That is all.
2) I do a lot of talking (quiet, Ryan) and writing about all of this. There are hundreds of people around me who do the real work. Here’s a partial list of thanks:
- The Original Eight (CCMS sixth-grade teachers in 2006 plus Jim Crouch, student teacher) — Heidi Lea, Zach Fleming, Lori Meadows, Les Parker, Ryan Cochran, Vicki Bobbit, Casey Callan, and Sue Simmons — you’re the best ever!
- D.C. Lundy — Principal at Powell Butte School during the initial Intel 1:1 pilot and chief instigator for technology in education, Crook County style
- Kurt Sloper — Sixth-grade teacher at Powell Butte that first year and my professional development guinea pig (he’s now Assistant Principal at CCMS and has continued to be a great guinea pig)
- Steve Swisher and Dennis Dempsey — CCSD (circa 2006) and HDESD Superintendents, respectively; ones who pushed us to push the envelope
- Bruce Hahn — The CCSD Director of Technology who makes all our crazy ideas happen
- Rocky Miner — Principal of CCMS (circa 2006, currently CCHS Principal) and team time champion
- Stacy Smith — Current Principal of CCMS (Assistant Principal in 2006) who walks the walk each day
- Andie Sangston — Queen (see part three)
- Mike Witnauer — 1:1 Program Manager (after I was pulled away for another project) and smart guy
- Steve Welden, Lance Queen, and Yancey Fall — CCSD Tech and savers-of-the-day for many years now
- Rachael Huish — CCMS Math Teacher (circa 2011; Rachael is now a school administrator in Southern Oregon) and the original Chromebook cheerleader and just…leader
- Charlene Walker — CCMS Science Teacher and current, tireless Chromebook team leader
- CCSD Teachers — wish I could list them all….
- CCSD Students and Parents — funny, smart, wily, exasperating, and supportive
CCMS Students with Cr-48s (Chromebooks)